Friday, November 03, 2006

Top 10 lists...

Many of my friends have listed a top 10 (or 100) movies of all time. Unfortunately, I have missed a great number of movies in my adolescent and teenage years, so I must go a slightly different route...

I am going to make a list of my Top 10 TV episodes of all time. I might eventually expand it to 50 or 100, but for now it is my Top 10. I welcome comments and suggestions. Be warned there be spoilers ahead!

10) Babylon 5; Z'ha'dum - If you never watched Babylon 5 you won't understand why this episode is HUGE. The lead character gets a visit from his wife (assumed dead) while sleeping with his current girlfriend. Both the station commander and head of security disappear. The greatest enemy of our time surrounds our stronghold. A meeting with the leaders of the enemy for the first time. I can go on, but this episode was what hooked me for 2 more seasons and forced me to pay more attention to the previous episodes.

9) CSI - Identity Crisis - I know I have two CSI episodes on here, but they are both great for different reasons. In this episode Grissom faces off with his nemesis; the one that got away. The episode makes you wonder if what you are looking at is true or if Grissom is just slowly going insane... I really enjoyed this episode.

8) CSI - Play with Fire - In this episode there is a few injuries and one that causes one of the main characters to be hospitalized. I liked this episode the best because of the response of people after 'the event' and the attention to detail they made to how 'the event' happened. I jump just a little each time I see this episode, even when I know it's coming.

7) Star Trek: The Next Generation; The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1 - I have to admit that this episode would be much lower on the list (probably out of the top 10) if I had to include the part 2 of this episode as well. But seeing Patrick Stewart in the Borg makeup gives me shivers even today. This is the first ever episode that I screamed at my TV over when I saw Locutus for the first time. I think that this episode is why First Contact is the best of the newer Star Trek movies, and has a lot to do with why I am a Star Trek fan today.

6) Battlestar Galactica; Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2 - This episode is a changing of the guard, and that is all I can really say without spoiling it all. Just watch this episode.

5) Buffy, The Vampire Slayer; Once More With Feeling - Go ahead. Get those laughs out of your system. This is the 'singing' episode and it is very well done. I did not watch it when it was on TV, but this episode is one that I will watch and day I need a pick me up. The songs are well done and clever, and stand well on their own. (I even have a few in my iPod) When taken in context of the rest of that season, and the events of the previous season, this easily cracks the top 5 of my list. I will need to watch all these again to make sure I like this order. Of these episodes this is one that might actually move up from 5th the more I watch it.

4) Lost; Two for the Road - See, I assumed that Michael was not 'right' in the head. I assumed that he was hiding something. But I did not see THAT coming. This episode was a regular really good episode with THAT at the end. While a number of Lost episodes will make it on my list (if I expand it to 50 or 100), this one stands just a little above the rest in my mind.

3) Firefly; Serenity - Firefly is the best TV series ever. No ifs, ands or buts. This episode started it all, and in addition to portraying the story and characters it was witty, and a classic Joss episode. All of the actors delivered a perfect performance, and I can find no flaws with this episode. FOX really screwed up not showing this episode first, as I am of the opinion that this show would STILL be on the air if they had not screwed it up.

2) M*A*S*H; Abyssinia, Henry - If you are a M*A*S*H fan like I am, you will know that there are a number of emotional episodes, others that are slap-knee funny, and others that are just filler. This episode is the departure of the base commander. He was one of the guys, and a father figure to more than a few of the younger enlistees. While much of what M*A*S*H is about is anti-war propaganda, this was the first time in my life that I thought a friend of mine could die in a war. I know its silly, but this episode still registers with me even today

1) Star Trek Deep Space Nine; In The Pale Moonlight - In TV, characters die, they leave the show, they have good days and they have bad days, but rarely on TV does a good character go EVIL. Everyone knew that Garak was a shady character, but Sisko was this pure, loyal, worshiped character who could do no wrong, or at least no EVIL. But not only does he turn EVIL and commits to murder for the greater good, he at the end of the episode expresses no remorse and the greater good has been served. I was floored when I watched this episode. I saw it live, and couldn't wait until tomorrow when I could see it again, and when I bought the DVDs it was the first episode that I really wanted to watch again. There is no other episode that I like to watch over this episode. At least not yet... =)

Currently just missing the list: Firefly; Objects in Space

Game On!

1 Comments:

Blogger TheGirard said...

that is a pretty good list

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home